Bull Junior Creek Floodplain

Bull Junior Creek Floodplain

Floodplain Picture

 View the new FEMA Floodplain Map here      

One of the Village of Kronenwetter’s top projects is the Bull Junior Creek floodplain study.  The floodplain affects a large number of homes, businesses, and vacant properties in the area. The main objective of this project is to more accurately assess the risks of flooding from Bull Junior Creek within the area. We are not proposing to alter waterways, but simply trying to determine the actual extent of the floodplain.

CURRENT UPDATE: (As of January 27, 2023) The revised Federal Emergency Management Agency floodplain maps are now effective.

Village staff are currently drafting a new floodplain ordinance. Once the ordinance is complete, a public hearing will be held. The Village Board will give final approval to the ordinance.

After the new ordinance is adopted, an informational meeting will be held for the community.

Homeowners that feel they are out of the floodplain with the new maps should contact their mortgage lenders to inquire whether they can remove their flood insurance. If the mortgage lender feels flood insurance is required, but the homeowner feels that their property is out, they will need to apply for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or if they think their building is out they can apply for (LOMA Out as Shown). 

This will require hiring a surveyor to complete a LOMA or Out as Shown. For more information on the LOMA process visit the following FEMA website page:  Paper Application Forms for Letter of Map Changes | FEMA.gov

For a building that is visibly out of the Flood plain one would want to complete Out as Shown. Here are the steps for Out as Shown: Letter of Map Amendment (Out as Shown) (fema.gov)

For those that were out of the floodplain, but now find themselves within the flood area, their mortgage lenders should be notifying them about the flood insurance requirement.

If the property owner feels they should not be in the newly mapped floodplain, they can apply for a LOMA with engineering proof of elevation above the area highwater elevation. 

This will require a hired surveyor to complete a LOMA. For more information on this process visit the following FEMA website page:  Paper Application Forms for Letter of Map Changes | FEMA.gov

For those who want to make a land configuration change or fill in the floodplain, you would need FEMA approval in the form of a Letter of Map Recommendation-Fill (LOMR-F).  For more information on this process visit the following FEMA website page:  https://www.fema.gov/flood-maps/change-your-flood-zone/loma-lomr-f      

If you have questions or would like to be contacted when this study is complete, please email the Planning Technician at wgau@kronenwetter.org. Your information will be added to the floodplain study contact list.

UPDATE - Next Steps

Updated Map

Interactive Map

Floodplain History

What is the regulatory floodplain?

Who controls how the floodplain is mapped?

How do I know if I'm in the new floodplain?

What are my odds of flooding within a 100-year floodplain?

Does standard homeowner's insurance cover losses and damages due to flooding?

Why does the Village participate in the National Flood Insurance Program?

I've lived at my house for 60 years and I've never seen any flooding. How can I be in the regulatory floodplain?

Am I required to have flood insurance?

I was NOT in the regulatory floodplain, and NOW I'm in it. How does this affect my property?

What if some on my property is in the regulatory floodplain, but my house is not?

I see that for our home, the proposed changes are in the ditch line on the way back side of our home. Based on where the floodplain hits our lot, we should not be required to obtain flood insurance on our property – correct?

Is this new map already in affect?

When am I required to buy flood insurance?

I was in the regulatory floodplain, now I'm NOT. How does this affect my property?

When can I drop my flood insurance?

What if I have a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA)?

Can you build/remodel in the floodplain?

Who Can I Contact For Additional Assistance at FEMA?